Work out Tips From
Fitness Specialist: Dartanion Johnson
1. Always allow your muscle group or groups that you work, 48 hours of rest before
working them again. Our muscles don’t grow until we are resting them.
2. We should always work muscles on both sides of the body in order to have balance,
this is called working paired muscles, or opposing muscle groups, found on opposite sides of the joint. When we work paired muscles, it helps us to avoid certain injuries, and it gives us muscular and structural integrity. Examples of paired muscles are biceps and triceps and quadriceps and hamstrings.
3. Never exercise on an empty stomach, remember you need food for energy!!
4. Make sure you eat complex carbs and protein for good energy.
5. When working out with weights, you shouldn’t wait no longer than 60 sec between sets.
6. When bench pressing, you should never bring the bar all the way down to your chest, because that over stretches your roller cups and causes damage in your shoulder area.
7. When you bench press the bar should be 3 to 4 inches above your chest, which means that your elbows will be parallel to the ground when you stop and go back up.
8. When you do push ups, it’s the same principle as doing bench press, don’t go all the way down. Your chest should be 3 to 4 inches from the ground.
9. In order to work your muscles to their full capacity, and get the best out of your workout, always workout to failure.
10. Working out to failure means you shouldn’t be able to do the same amount of reps by the time you finish doing all your sets when lifting weights.
11. 3 to 4 sets of 10 reps are usually good enough for a good basic workout.
12. Never lock out your joints when lifting weights, whether you are lifting with your arms or legs, because one, it takes the tension off your muscles, and two it could cause hyperextension.